Saturday 8 June 2013

Hairspray

Last night I watched Hairspray the musical, which is touring at he moment.  Over the years I have seen the show roughly four times. While that's not that many, it's a lot for me. 

I was dancing at the end.  

It was interesting to see different actors to take on some of my favourite characters. Now the times I've seen it, I've seen Michael Ball play Edna. This time Mark Benton took on the role. He added his own style to the role, for me though you knew it was him in the costume. The first time I saw Michael Ball as Edna, I had to keep looking and people round me were asking 'Is that him?'  

The two other names in this show were Marcus Collins and Lucy Benjamin.  Now Marcus I knew was a talent show singer. But let me tell you this, his future is in musical theatre, his voice blew the house down.  Lucy Benjamin I only knew as an a actress. The lady can act, sing, dance and has amazing comic timing.

Hairspray you can't fault. It has the feel of the 60s with a touch of technicolor. The entire company sing and dance their hearts out right to the encore. And you can't stop dancing. And I did.  It does cover all issues, race, weight and feeling like the outsider. But the message for me, is look on the inside and not the outside. And try to see past people's differences.

I enjoyed it so much I'm going back again.  

Everyone should see the stage musical!!

You Can't Stop The Beat!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like such a fun time, a thousand times more entertaining than the remake me thinks.

    ReplyDelete