Monday 17 November 2014

Thank you Singing in The Rain The Musical

I would like to say everyone should see Singing In The Rain the musical. I had the pleasure of seeing this show earlier in the year.

The lighting, staging, orchestration and set made you feel you had been transported back in time. Gene Kelly would have approved. And the rain! It has to be seen to be believed. Sit in the front row; it’s the best way to get the full effect!

The musical has remained faithful to the movie, while giving the audience a fresh taste of a classic. I grew up watching this film and I was worried all my favourite scenes and musical numbers wouldn't be included, yet they were. They were so much better live!

One favourite has always been Moses Supposes. I had marvelled watching this on film, wondered could it be done live. For me it outshone the film. The singing while tap dancing and comic timing looked so effortless, I am very sure it was a lot of hard work. It brought the house down!

Stephane Anelli made me and the audience go wild at the speed and precision of his dancing. I am sure Donald O Connor had magically come back on stage for Make Em Laugh.

I saw two different actors play Don Lockwood. James Leece and Matthew Malthouse. The ability of both these gents to play the same character, yet make it their own was an honour to watch.

Amy Ellen Richardson I was spellbound by. She sang, danced, made you laugh, and want to cry for her character of Kathy. There was realness to her, Amy’s Kathy felt like someone everyone in the audience would know or have known at some time their lives.

A thank you to each of the dancer/singers who added to the Hollywood magic.
The extra song for Lina was a memorable scene played by Vicky Bins. It brought out a side of her character that you don't see on film. Paul Grunert had me laughing in my seat as the frustrated film director. Jacqueline Clarke got some great lines also.

I have to admit when I heard about this musical I did think that Hollywood actor and theatre star Maxwell Caulfield would have been playing Don. I am very glad he was given the part of R.F. Simpson the studio boss also his character is fleshed out more on stage. I saw this show four times and every time, I was sure R.F. would sing his song in full. Thank you sir for the kindness at the stage door, also the surprise you sent me from Southampton. It was very kind of you.

Thank you to Mr SITRBAND man :) it was nice to put a face to the name. If you are in Tokyo please watch this show.

Thank you all cast, crew, backstage and wardrobe for making this show one that I will remember for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment